LEARNING SESSION 1: How can a university improve its branding?
In this module reflection is invited to explore the resources and strategies used for the promotion of universities. The learning materials have been developed by Carmen Santamaría, University of Alcala, (UAH), Maj Vuorre, University of Easter Finland (UEF) Communications and Media Relations department, Weronika Ćmielewska, University of Lodz (UL).
What are the strategies used by our institutions to promote universities and make them attractive for international students? Marketing, educational, touristic and human resources can be explored in an attempt to discover their relationship with the impact of internationalisation processes on university reputation.
- Carmen Santamaría, from University of Alcala, (UAH), deals with the functions of brand names, logos and slogans and invites you to explore the ways in which they are used by your institutions. She also facilitates reflection on what could be unique at your institution and used for marketing resources. Please, read her presentation if you want to learn more about these topics.
- Maj Vuorre, from UEF Communications and Media Relations department, presents UEF brand and promotional products and the evolution they have experienced from 2010, when UEF was established. Please, read her presentation if you want to learn more about the steps taken by UEF to create a fresh, new look for the new university.
- Weronika Ćmielewska, from University of Lodz (UL), presents some of the initiatives promoted by UL such as the SmartUni App. You can read her presentation to find out more!
In the first presentation you have some activities inviting reflection on the following aspects:
Assignment 1: Resources for promotion
Think about the use of slogans at your university:
- Does your university use slogans?
- Which ones?
- How are they used? (Merchandising, leaflets, etc.)
- Are you happy with the way they are used?
- Can you think of more ways in which they could be used? (T-shirt for teachers, host institution students, incomings and outgoings…, other?)
Assignment 2: Our university resources for promotion
- Do we have a marketing mindset?
- What is unique of our universities? Are we making most of it?
- How would you rate the presence of what is unique of our institutions in the following:
- Websites 1 2 3 4 5
- Mainstream media 1 2 3 4 5
- Social media 1 2 3 4 5
- Merchandising 1 2 3 4 5
- Leaflets 1 2 3 4 5
5. How can you explain or support your rating above? Please give a brief explanation for your rating.
Let’s focus on websites and social media:
How are you using your websites for promotion? Does the website at your university contain the section “Why to study at this university?”
Read the article at the link below and compare the use made of the aspects mentioned there by your institution.
Carmen Santamaría-García for this learning session layout and materials including her name. Please mention Maj Vuorre and Weronika Ćmielewska for their materials including their names.